10 Reasons to Read OTHER BROKEN THINGS by Christa Desir
- Because our girl’s a fighter. Literally. She’s a boxer. Or at least she was before all sorts of shit happened and she quit.
- Because addiction and recovery stories are very dear to me. Not just because this is a familiar narrative in my own family and life, but because within them lie so many important truths. Truths that our main character Natalie cannot always see.
- Because, like Natalie, I was (still am) a stubborn fucking girl. Fuck yeah stubborn ladies!
- Because Christa Desir makes you want what Natalie wants. Even if what Natalie wants is not good for her.
- Because parents are an intractable, frustrating and indecipherable entity in the lives of adolescents. Good parent characters in YA are difficult to depict; we have to look at them from a narrow teenaged view as well as the wider view (if we’re adult readers, that is).
- Because nothing annoys me more than an obsession with the Christmas holidays. Yes, Nat: I’m with you on that score regarding your mother.
- Because I know young people in recovery and I know how hard it is for them. I have some kids in mind for copies of this book who will fully appreciate Natalie. Especially her sexual history.
- Because there’s sex in the story. In a YOUNG ADULT story. And it’s sad and real and…sigh.
- Because girls can–and should–make mistakes in stories. And that is worthy of examination and representation.
- Because growing up is messy and difficult. And just like addiction recovery, it never really ends.
Get your copy of Other Broken Things at: